Wednesday, November 11, 2009

KVM

KVM - kernel virtual machine

kvm uses QEMU for device emulation. So your guest will only see a VGA graphics card. Don't expect good performance here. I increase the resolution to 1024 and i could get a larger screen, but it will be better when qemu emulate some better graphicscard. Xen-HVM uses QEMU for emulation too. I tried -vga vmware in kvm-qemu, but it is worse than no specifying anything (i.e. using the default).


I run a vncserver (RealVNC) in my Windows 7 guest and connect to it from my Linux host using vncviewer, the performance sucks!! it is slow. So there is no need to use vnc to connect to your guest. But I tried Microsoft remote desktop , mstsc.exe, to connect to my Windows 2008 server guests, the results is great. You won't know you are on a VM.

Qemu allows your guests to use the usb port too.

No comments: